A fine George III period longcase clock in a classical architectural case by this highly respected London clockmaker.
The refined and elegant case retains its original Greek pedimented top. It has achieved excellent patination in its well-figured mahogany veneers and stands on a shaped double plinth with raised moulded panel to the base and long moulded trunk door. The delicate architectural hood is flanked by canted corners and a beautifully moulded door.
The 12 inch brass and silvered square dial is engraved with Roman hour numerals and Arabic numerals for the five minute markers. It has a subsidiary seconds ring below XII and an aperture to view the day of the month above VI. The dial is signed by the maker and above twelve o’clock there is a lever for the strike/silent option.
The high quality five pillar movement includes an original anchor escapement and rack strike. The hours are sounded on a bell. The clock is complete with its original flat steel pendulum rod, large brass bob pendulum with calibrated rating nut, weights and a pair of dome topped brass weights.
Height: 79 ½ in (202 cm)
* John Dwerrihouse is a very well-known clockmaker who was free of the Clockmakers’ Company in 1781. He began working in Charles Street and then moved to Berkeley Square in 1800.